Though porcelain veneers and teeth whitening treatment take very different approaches, they share the same goal: enhancing smiles. Depending on your hopes and expectations for your smile, one may be a better option for you than the other. Take a look at the top considerations for porcelain veneers and teeth whitening treatment to get a better idea of which route you’d like to take to enhance your smile.
How They Both Work
Veneers are pieces of tooth-colored porcelain that are bonded to the visible surfaces of teeth. Teeth whitening, on the other hand, using laser light or bleaching solutions to physically change the color of teeth. Veneers and teeth whitening take very different approaches to brightening smiles, yet the former is capable of more than just changing the color of your smile.
Here’s a look at what veneers can do for you, beyond brightening your smile by hiding discoloration:
· Chipped teeth – veneers can make chipped teeth look whole, though they’re best used for minor chips
· Crooked teeth – by adding surface area, veneers can make mildly or moderately crooked teeth look straight or straighter
· Cracked teeth – veneers can hide cracks in a tooth
Considerations for Both
Neither veneers nor teeth whitening poses a serious risk to your long-term oral health care. Veneers can be undone, while teeth whitening will dissipate just a few weeks after the last whitening treatment was done.
These are some of the top consideration for teeth whitening:
· It can make sensitive teeth more sensitive
· It can take several applications to get the results you want
· You may never quite achieve the hue of white you’re after
· Results aren’t permanent and will fade once treatments stop
These are some of the top considerations for porcelain veneers:
· They resist whitening, so their color won’t change if you do teeth whitening
· They generally aren’t suitable for fixing major imperfections
· They sometimes require the removal of a thin layer of enamel from the teeth, though they’re still completely safe
More on Teeth Whitening and Veneers in Pismo Beach, CA